Christianity and Euthanasia

Here is an excellent article on the topic. I have been looking for scriptural references, and the following quote sums everything up, I believe.

http://www.faithnet.org.uk/KS4/christianeuthanasia.htm


"...euthanasia is actually mentioned in the Bible in two places and both are in the Old Testament. The first is when Abimelech asks his armour-bearer to put him to death after he had been hit on the head by a millstone (Judges 9:52-55). In the second instance Saul, the first king of Israel, asked to be put to death after he had attempted suicide ('Stand over me and kill me! I am in the throes of death, but I am still alive. So I stood over him and killed him, because I knew that after he had fallen he could not survive.' (2 Samuel 1:9-10). The Amalekite who recounts this story, and who eventually killed Saul, is then put to death by David, Saul's successor. In both these instances the idea that euthanasia is an acceptable practice is not considered. In the first account Abimelech asks to be put to death so that he would not suffer the shame of being killed by a woman (who had dropped the stone on him), whilst the second records the final days of a king who had gone against God and lost his right to lead the people."

Comments