The Importance of Truth--And Forgiveness--And Not Jumping to Conclusions

Over the past several months I have been involved in an interview for a position at a company where I would like to work full time. During my interview process I was told that I was the "#1 candidate for the position" and that the hiring manager would "work to put together" a hiring package that would be right for me.

Time had passed and I checked in periodically. I was not given any indication that anything had changed. At one time I was told that I would be contacted within a week.

Unfortunately the next week we had a death in the family and I was not able to follow up on the issue, and the next week after that the hiring manager was on vacation.

After all this, I got a message on Monday that a person that they had an offer out to during my interview had accepted.

My first reaction was anger. "How could they lie to me like this?" I thought. "How could they tell me I'm the #1 for the job and then offer it to someone else?"

My second reaction was disappointment. I was on a short-term project and it was ending on Friday. Come Friday, we had no more income, and I had been putting off looking for work because I was waiting for the hiring manager to get back to me with the package he was preparing--expecting that it would come.

My third reaction was fear. I needed to find a new job and find it fast! We had some money saved up, enough to last a while if need be, but not enough to last forever. We'd have to change our budget and other plans as well.

My fourth reaction was joy. I was glad to find out in advance that I could not trust this person. "I don't want to work for someone that thinks that lying is the thing to do."

My fifth reaction, which came after much resting and thinking, was much different. I thought about how we could repair the trust that had been violated. I thought that maybe I was the #1 choice, but because of politics in the company I still was not given the offer. In any event, I determined that I did not have enough information, at least at this time, to really react the way I had previously. I should have reacted with curiosity.

So now I am curious about this situation. Could it be possible that I am the #1 choice but someone else was already given an offer? If so, why was that person (or persons) given several months to respond? Did the hiring manager indeed work with the company to put together a package for me? What will it be like if I encouter this person again?

The focus on my attention has turned to re-building the relationship with this hiring manger. I want to learn more about what happened, confront him with what appears to me to be incongruent statements, and determine if we really have a possibility for a business future together.

I also need to be prepared to forgive him if it turns out that he was lying to me, and to ask for his forgiveness for jumping to conclusions.

No matter what else happens, that is the right thing to do... and we all know it!

Comments